Saturday 4 January 2014

Christmas Dinner Thanks to a Special Card


For those who don't know, before I came over here to South Africa I through a fundraiser to raise some money to spend in places of need on my trip. I put it on a travel money card and when opportunities present I can use it to help! 

On Christmas Eve an opportunity presented! 

Here at TLC there is a lovely lady who works in the kitchen. She cooks lunch and dinner everyday. There is a lot of people to feed here. She cooks for all the kids in the nursery, all the volunteers, all the workers and all of the people from the main house. Its more than 70 people. Each day. She has a HUGE job to do.

When she isnt here or is sick everyone needs to fend for themselves. From what I have seen, most of the time people just have instant noodles.

The cook was having the afternoon off on Christmas Eve so she could spend time with her family. Usually the volunteers have a Christmas dinner that night and everyone brings something, but this year because we where extremely under people it wasn't going to be possible. 

However, Christmas Eve just so happened to be my day off! So I offered to cook a Christmas Meal for all of the volunteers and kids in the nursery! 

I got up early and went to the shops for ingredients. I was going to make a big lasagna and salad, because it was easy and we where all craving something a little bit western! It took me a few hours but I made the biggest lasagna ever. It feed the volunteers and the kids for 2 days! 

In total the lasagna and salad cost $35 Australian. It was very appreciated and I wouldn't have been able to serve in this way if it wont for the amazing generosity of all the people back home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment